Dear Friends, Here is a comprehensive list of the ways you can help through GBLL this holiday season. Please share this to spread the word!
What started as a single act of kindness over 30 years ago has grown exponentially to now touch thousands of lives in need each year. Thanks to your generosity and efforts we will once again brighten the lives of those less fortunate this holiday season.
We have many needs to fill and many opportunities to volunteer:
· Toiletries are in great demand. Please consider organizing a drive. The travel size items needed are: soap, toothbrush & toothpaste, shampoo, hand sanitizer, deodorant, combs, lotion, and chapstick. We would need donated items by Dec. 19. See below for toiletry collection details at Severna Park High School.
· Dec. 9 is our final general meeting before the main drive. Anyone wishing to learn about the details of this organization is invited to come! Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church in Severna Park, Room #208 at 7:00pm.
· Dec. 12/13 we need families/youth volunteers with an adult to man a donation truck at Homestead Gardens in Severna Park. The flyer can be accessed through this link:www.SignUpGenius.com/go/60B084EA4AF2AA20-homestead. Please pass the word along to anyone needing service hours or looking to help.
· On Dec. 19 at Severna Park High School from 9am-12pm we will be sorting and assembling toiletry kits, making more cards, wrapping boots, making scarves and anything else last-minute that comes up. Great activity for our youth to participate in. Again, donations and volunteers are needed!
· COOKIES! We are sharing the warmth of homemade goodness with every shelter visited again this year. We need our bakers to get busy, and share the love. Please contact: mimilshea for details on cookie donation dropoff.
· CAKES! Cakes are very enthusiastically appreciated! They are needed for a luncheon and evening fellowship service. Cakes should be cooked in a disposable tin pan and are needed by Dec. 23. Please send a private FB message if you’re able to help with cakes, and we can coordinate dropoff. Chocolate cake is high demand!
· CARDS! We want every homeless person to receive this gift of BEAUTY from a young person. Please have your artist make as many cards as they can. Homemade or store-bought with a personal message are perfect. We can take cards up to Dec. 23.
The main collection runs Dec. 20-23 from 10am-4pm at the Annapolis Farmers Market on Riva Road. We will need lots of volunteers to sort, fold, and pack the donations. This has been a great team-building exercise for schools, teams, groups and families in the past, and is encouraged this again for the coming drive. FREE lunch is provided for volunteers, as well as treats and holiday music and camaraderie. Most local schools are still in session till the 23rd, so send your college students and tell them to bring a friend!
· Shelter deliveries take place on Dec. 24, either a morning or evening run. Again, volunteers are needed and we say this with the greatest confidence… this experience will change your whole outlook on Christmas. More details will come, but to participate in the Christmas Eve shelter deliveries, usually requires an 8am commitment for the morning run and a 3pm commitment for the evening run.
We are also in need of donations, mainly coats, but any warm gently used clothing, baby items, small appliances, blankets, sleeping bags, diapers, women’s hygiene items, new linens, toys and underwear. We pretty much accept anything at the Farmers Market except furniture and summer clothing. WARM COATS are needed! So, if a student would like to organize a coat drive, within their sports team, community or other civic group, we will happily sign the service-hours acknowledgement. Students contact info if interested in running a coat drive.
· If you haven’t already, please consider sponsoring a backpack. For a $25 donation, a new backpack filled with thermal top and bottoms, socks, gloves, a hat, and sweatshirt will be given out of the streets of Baltimore Christmas Eve. You tax-deductible donation can be made online or mailed to: Giving Back, Linda’s Legacy, 626C Admiral Dr., Annapolis, MD 21401.
Thank you for volunteering and helping in our efforts… Because of you, life-saving goods, dignity, hope and understanding is provided to our homeless and disadvantaged neighbors.